NATIONAL SEWING MACHINE
Belvidere, IL
1890 - 1957

National Sewing Machine Company had its original factory in Boston, Massachusetts from 1880-1887.
The company later moved to Chicago, Illinois and finally to Belvidere, Illinois by 1886.
The company sold to Montgomery Ward, Macy's in New York, Wannamaker's in Philadelphia
and Marshall Field in Chicago who in turn re-sold their products.

Harold D. Neff headed up the Vindex Toy division between 1916-1951;
Vindex was the name of a product line of National's washing machines.
National Sewing Machine Company and Farm Mechanics magazine partnered up,
with the magazine offering Vindex Toys as incentives to children to sell magazine subscriptions.

NATIONAL SEWING MACHINE FACTORY -- 1939


National Sewing Machine Company's claim to fame in the doorstop world
was the " TWIN SCOTTIES " doorstop.
Made in the 1930's, it portrays the 2 Scotties posed like they are listerning to something.
Implied is : "They are listening to how quite cars are running using Texaco's gasoline."


In 1953, the company merged with the Free Sewing Machine Company.
But, still they were unable to compete with the imported Japanese sewing machines.
The National Sewing Machine Company closed in 1957.


MARKING STYLE
LETTERING & NUMBERS Saying -- NSM CO